Although its name might suggest otherwise, the Dirty Santa Gift Exchange is a family friendly game! It is called dirty because game participants steal gifts from each other in the attempt to end up with the best possible gift.
Gifts for Dirty Santa are typically something fun, new, unique, and in good taste.
Unlike the White Elephant gift exchange, Dirty Santa gifts are usually items the recipients will want and use.
Use our Dirty Santa Rules And Numbers to add an extra special touch to your Christmas Party!
Dirty Santa Rules And Numbers
If you are hosting a Dirty Santa Gift Exchange there are a few things to keep in mind.
Many party goers don’t know the difference between Dirty Santa and a White Elephant Christmas party.
Clarify Dirty Santa gifts are typically something fun, new, unique, and in good taste.
Choose a dollar amount and let your guests know their Dirty Santa Gift should be valued under that amount.
1. Place wrapped gifts in the center of the room.
When entering, have your guests place their gifts just inside the door to keep gifts anonymous.
2. Have each guest draw a number.
It’s easy to scratch numbers on paper and pass them out BUT, if you want something Extra Special, check out our printable Dirty Santa Game Cards!
Dirty Santa Game
Dirty Santa Game – Buffalo Plaid
3. The guest holding #1 goes first.
Who would’ve guessed?
4. Number one chooses a gift, unwraps it, and oohs and aahs before putting it on display for all to see.
Gifts must stay in view at all times and remain in their original packaging, if applicable. NO EATING THE CHOCOLATE!
5. Each subsequent guest has two options; they can either steal a gift from a guest who has gone before them or choose an unopened gift from the center of the room.
My sister put on the Dirty Santa Thief Mask to inspect everyone’s gift and decide what to steal. She’s a crack up and always makes our parties fun!
6. If a guest has their gift stolen, they can either steal from another or choose an unopened gift.
They may NOT steal the same gift that was just stolen from them until the next round.
7. Gifts can be stolen up to three times. A gift is frozen with the fourth owner.
8. If number one has the same gift they started with, they may choose to trade with any unfrozen gift.
9. The jig’s up! Wasn’t that FUN?
There are many variations to Dirty Santa. Just be sure you all are in agreement before you get the party started!
No one wants smiles to turn upside down.
Print off a few Dirty Santa Rules and leave them scattered throughout the room.
When that persnickety guest questions your motives, it’s all in fine print!
Are you ready for a Dirty Santa Christmas Party?
I’m wishing you a loud and boisterous Dirty Santa Gift Exchange full of laughter, fun, and new, unique, gifts that are in good taste!
More Dirty Santa Ideas
Recommended Dirty Santa Gifts
More Ideas For Gift Exchange Games